The South Texas College of Law was part of the United YMCA Schools under the control of the Houston YMCA. Its offices and classrooms were housed in three rooms on the third floor of the YMCA building at the corner of Fannin and McKinney streets. It was founded to provide working people with an opportunity to obtain a legal education in the evening or after working hours. The first class met in 1923 and consisted of 34 "freshman" students, five of whom were women.
Originally named the South Texas School of Law, the evolution of the College can be seen through its history can be seen in our catalogs. There are the obvious changes, such as the tuition increase, the name change, and our separation from the YMCA. Then there are the less obvious ones: our growth and development, hiring of full-time faculty, and having classes during the day. What has remained constant is the dedication to legal education, our students, and our community.